Monday, January 24, 2005

3 weeks later

We've just moved over to Bangkok, hubbie and I, and I've come across many useful sites on living here. Scratching the surface though, a lot of the farang reader boards are targeted to farang blokes living it up in certain zones of the city. Or else English teaching. Or else new mums.

I am neither farang nor Thai, but I am married to a farang. I am 100% of the time mistaken for the Thai half even though he speaks better Thai than me (easy though - I only know how to say hello and thank you and often get those mixed up anyhow). With each day I try to rail against the cliche - I don my glasses more often to make me look extra nerdy - and even hubbie has said that for once he's glad I dress so very modestly. After all, if I'm ever mistaken for a bar girl, what does that make him???

So here I am. In a former life, pretty successful career woman working in a bank in Europe, UK and Hong Kong. Now: housewife - or as the Hong Kongers put it 'tai tai' - curiously enough, pronunication just like 'thai thai'...

I am definitely looking forward to getting to know this dynamic city. Even though I've visited BKK many times, in the 3 weeks I've been here it's still astonishing me with all its different faces.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home