Thursday, August 18, 2005

Changing of the name

For the last two years, I've managed to keep hold of my Chinese surname. It's the only part of my official name that is Chinese. Fatt though has always urged me to change my surname since we've been married. I've felt a bit strange about this as:
a) as mentioned, I'll lose all Chinese identity from my name; and
b) it defies expectations - people make assumptions according to your name. Although defying expectations isn't a bad thing! It's probably even funnier for my sister-in-law - everyone would think she was a meek, quiet Chinese girl and then meet a bubbly, curly red haired, bright blue-eyed, feisty bundle of fun; and
c) I'll have the same initials and last name as my mother-in-law.

We'd been thinking about going double-barrell, but it was beginning to sound pretentious and silly. Anyhow, my passport was getting full, so I've finally taken the plunge and changed my surname.
Maybe in the future, I'll put my surname back in to my middle name...

1 Comments:

Blogger Meerkatsu said...

Mrs 'Sylvie Clare Meimei' sounds pretty chinese to me.

4:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home