Sunday, March 20, 2005

Assumptions!

Even though I am mistaken for Thai wherever I go, it is probably due to the large number of ethnic Chinese in Bangkok. I'm pretty sure that I'm not taken for your average Thai bar girl from Isaan - at least not by the Thais.

Farangs though are another matter. We were getting supplies from Villa Supermarket. As mentioned, my dad doesn't really look Chinese due to his Arabic nose. His skin is also pretty dark which emphasises further his shock of white hair. In other words, we don't really look alike. An old farang git saw us and said to my dad 'How are you?' with a smirk and an arched eyebrow. And I realised that he probably thought what we all think when we see a senior foreign bloke with a young (err, relatively speaking for me) Thai girl.

I was a little shocked by it all. On reflection of course I wish I'd punched the old farang's lights out but we always think of what we should have done far too late. Hubby and I had been talking about the small chance of his dad ever making it over and with hubby working, I could probably take (very English) father-in-law around Bangkok. But then we thought about what people would think! So here are a couple of thoughts:

1) does it matter what people think? Not that there's anything wrong with Thai bar girls - or rather that's a whole other debate - but I don't think any girl likes to be mistaken for a prozzie!
2) am I just being paranoid? am I assuming the old farang git meant what I think he meant?
3) should we always assume that when we see older foreign blokes with young Thai girls it means what we think it means?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home