Thursday, May 19, 2005

Lady of leezure

Now that I've given up Thai lessons, I think I am truly a lady of leeezure. Whereas before I could justify my existence to friends asking 'So, what do you do all day?' with a resounding reply of 'learning Thai actually', now I have to mumble something about keeping house and doing lots of yoga. When you meet people and they learn that you're not working I can tell you, that's quite a conversation killer. I recall during one dinner here, a woman bitching about her job in the UN and spitting out: 'I should just tell people I'm a housewife, then they won't ask any more questions and I don't have to defend my work.' (Because you see, her work is really really important you know).

Anyhow, why did I give up the Thai? Well... I don't know how long this living in Thailand lark is going to go on for. And while I have the time to think and do things that I'd really like to do, I better take this opportunity now to do it. What exactly those things are maybe I'll reveal later.

Now to cheer us all up, here was THE highlight of Indonesia:

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

I know the right thing to do was to probably see them in the wild, but the Primates section in Jakarta Zoo is really very nice indeed. And when you have 4 or 5 curious toddler orangutans peering at you with just a glass divider, well....aaahh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home